Wednesday, November 30, 2011

End of the month !




Here we are already at the last day of the big contest month...  I better post some of our groundwork news from last week.

Mostly video -- and also pre-snow landscape.


we played with the tarp some with both girls. This was not too challenging as we play with tarps often here on the farm.




Sweet Bee has never been schooled in turning on the forehand and turning on the haunches...  I was looking forward to this task -- since it's something she needs to know anyway. I started out using a tire as a physical barrier, for both me and Sweets.  Keeps me and her focused on where the feet in question are supposed to remain. This exercise also helps get the gears engaged for side passing ..


After we are done practicing in the tire - Sweets knows just what I am asking for out of the tire and also under saddle.  Once you engage the gears in the rear engine...  side passing should come easily. Keeping the rear legs in the tire is a lot more difficult for a horse- and requires a well oiled engine .. which Sweets does not have after spending so much time giving lessons in the indoor with a slow walk and trot all day long. 


We were not completely sure about the barrel task -- but I am thinking this is what Denise was looking for.

This particular week was ground work week -- we also practiced the self loading (borrowed a 2 horse trailer for this challenge), completed our longe work - with a nice steady walk, trot, canter transition with voice commands. All worthy assignments that will pay off down the road with our horses listening and respecting. 

Yesterday, we got in a nice rain ride --  well.... it was more of a downpour into the ride and we got thoroughly soaked... but - Miss Susan - contrary to what you might believe -- fashion is NOT the priority....   POINTS are what it's all about :)  But of course if you can be fashionable while racking up the plus marks.. then it's a win/win !

AND -- guess what ?? we did manage to get in 3 NEW PLACES....  my number 3 son brought over a small handbook of Hiking trails in Vermont indexed by regions. After studying that - we were able to find a few places we actually have never been. One spot I admit - we had to travel on old ground for half of the way -- and the NEW place was only a 10 minute explore.  That was probably the toughest subject on the list of to-do's for us.

I won't pretend I didn't miss Keri this month --   but I had loads of fun bonding with Miss Sweets. I did get in a trot almost everyday with Keri too... just short trips to satisfy my Keri addiction.  Even after the RAC hiatus begins - we should all keep this type of month as a now and again personal goal... spending time with one special Curly checking in with our our skills in asking and receiving.

Betsy and Sweet Bee and  Zoe and Reverie in Vermont

12 comments:

  1. Betsy I don't know what is wrong with my computor but I only can down load one picture, I though maybe you had white outs in Vermont. Looks like you horse has a lot of curls,, winter must be coming.
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  2. First I must say that both these mare are ADORABLE! Gorgeous curls and such try you see in both of them. You did a great job on the barrels! Both horses were so attentive and respectful in your asking..checking in like, "am I doing this right??" lol. It was super great. AND Betsy I must say INGENIUS of you to practice the pivot using the tire! Fantastic idea. Sure sets them up for success! I think it's so interesting to see what tasks are the most challenging..for you it was riding some place new and for Angie it was the bike. =] I am so thrilled you both rose to the challenge and didn't just "X" it off your list as not doable!! At first I thought Nov was a horrible month to try to do this challenge, but WOW, you have all done such an outstanding job. SO inspiring, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoe and Betsy, the figure8 is about drive and draw. Facing the barrels with the horse on your right you drive them to the left crossing in front of you but you stay facing the barrels. As they round the left barrel you draw them towards you by dropping back, switch hands with the stick and rope and then drive them towards the right barrel...with your driving training...easy peasy.
    diane/Texas

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: Now go out and try this today and you can count one more challenge...that thing about learning one new thing from a friend.
    diane/Tx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for explaining it Diane. I actually thought what Zoe did was harder than what I has assigned (even a bit of a back up and redirect there..and Rev was so attentive!) ...but couldn't figure out how to explain it without demonstrating it. =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. Maybe we need you to demonstrate for us Diane!! =]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet Bee is a gorgeous animal,the snow is just a perfect backdrop for the perfect unity between man and horse to over come the elements and obstacles. great advice from diane on driving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Denise - LOVE the pivots inside the tire - this is an excellent idea! And I thought Diane explained the barrel figure 8 well also, thanks Diane! Betsy, so glad you find some new places to ride!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the tire idea for teaching pivots!! Clever bunch you are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Diane,
    Thank you. I enjoyed reading your explanation about drawing and driving. It is a good thing to learn new skills. I know that no one is giving training advice on this board. But that being said, it is good to be able to understand how other horse people work their horses.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just able to download your vidios tonight so I could see what everybody was talking about. Great job Betsy making me look bad though.
    Goodnight Harold

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah Harold,
    Bets and Zoe do try to make their competitors look bad or make us rise to their high achieving actions....thank goodness we have you too in the Curly world.
    Hugs,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete