Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Jump Start

~Susan and Ah-D in Maine~
I figured I wouldn't be able to do much of anything for the November challenge until this weekend, but last night the hubby had to go out to quote a job, so I used this 'spare time' to try a few things with my Curly boy. First I did a grooming session and picked all four feet from one side. Right off the bat, he had me laughing! Ah-D used to be so willful when it came to feet and farriers, but now he is incredible! I could see him licking his chops and shifting his weight when I asked for the off-side hooves, and then he even held them up for me while I cleaned. What a good boy! Then I grabbed a spare bridle with a curb bit to try. It fit, so I saddled him up western and practiced him in the barn aisle to see how he'd react. He was incredible! And...I got a nice surprise. I thought I might have to work all month on the neck reining, but since he knows seat and leg, he took to it like duck to water. I was thrilled! So, I took him out for a jaunt up a trail in the dark. He did get frustrated a few times at the strange bit, and me asking for turns only with the neck reining, but when he did, I just slowed it down and stroked his neck. I'm pretty pleased with my handsome and willing boy and looking forward to growing our relationship together this month while trying some things outside of our comfort zones. I am so glad to see there are other teams out there who are also getting a jump start and enjoying this challenge!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely Susan and Ah-D! You are a beautiful couple indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job Susan...now as for the "jump" start...we will see, lol. : )
    It's going to be a very fun month!

    ReplyDelete