Friday, November 11, 2011

Special Voelie

Today it was time to do some groundwork with Voelie. She is such a special character, I'll try to describe why..
I started with a grooming session. Voelie is very talented in getting her line untied. Safety knots are for 'dumb' horses but even a well tied knot (I have a fast release clip on the line in case I need to use it so can really tie a knot) is not enough to secure Voelie. The strage thing is that she does not chew or bite the line, she just shakes her head a little and like magic the knot seems to come undone.. every time!

After the grooming I put the barebackpad on her, now I thought she might find this a bit exiting but she was allmost yawning as if she was saying "I know this routine by now!", so this was easy for her and she did really well.

Then we started for a walk. Here Voelie has to check every time if the boundies I set are still the same. This goes someting like:


  • I ask Voelie to Stop

  • Voelie just keeps on walking ('Is it ok if I just keep right on going and not listen to you today?)

  • No Voelie, I said stop!

  • Ok, maybe I will just take two more steps...

  • No Voelie, I really mean stop!

  • Ok, only one step then..

  • No Voelie, I really mean stop!

  • Ah ok, I will try going backwards and acting scared then?

  • No Voelie, I just want you to calmly stop

  • Ah, I see, it's just the same as last time then..:)

So after re-establishing these boundries I decided to practice trotting in hand on the leadline. I trotted along the field where Suri was so Suri decided to trot along. This was all so exiting for Voelie that she put her tail high up in the air, started such a floating trot that it seemed her hooves never actually touched the ground and started snorting increadibly loud. I've heard many horses snort with exitement before but never as loud as Voelie, she outsnorts them all! So here she is being all incredibly exited (definately supercharged:) for nothing really.. Allthough she looks increadibly beautifull when she does this I encourage her not to act so silly and to stay calm. With Voelie the potential is definately there, she is a great mover but it's all about keeping all her exitement and emotions under control so that she does not get too carried away.


And then walking back to the mounting block she was immediately relaxed again. Thats what I love, she does not stay in this over-exited state for long! We practiced me patting her back an leaning over her and just standing next to the mounting block. It will be a long time before we actually need the mounting block but it's always good to practice (she is still such a baby, I'm going to let her grow lots more before starting anything more serious with her).


So this was my day with Voelie, such a special character, I love here to bits but sometimes wonder if I'll be able to cope with such a project: a young horse!

5 comments:

  1. Ha, ha, Jessica, does this sound familiar to me! Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile. You are doing GREAT to stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to echo Susan...you are doing a fantastic job with Voelie!!! Keep it up. Your first ride will make it all worthwhile!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,
    Voelie is a lovely filly. You and her are doing good work together. Sometimes when a horse gets sort of excited it does help to do some little serpentines or little "snake, squiggle trails" with them. They seem to like doing these because they really do want to control their emotions for us.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone!
    Penny, I will definately try the serpentines as a distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica,
    How funny, my Curlies too seem to be little Houdinis. You are making great progress with Voelie and I do love her name.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete