Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Harold's Cowgirl Friends Part III


Now, this post is from Penny, who is always a real Cowgirl! On Tuesday...
"Lyle and I rode this afternoon. It was very rainy and very, very windy. We rode in the hay shed only because the snow covered ground was very slippery. Because Lyle still runs away I did nt want to ride him in a place where he might slip and fall."
I have taken the pin off of the Harold button because I considered the sharp pin as a real danger on a green horse. So I am holding the button by Lyle's face. Next time I will ride with the button made into a necklace. Much safer.
Because it was so windy and the rain was coming down so hard I did not want to push it and use my lass rope as I rode Lyle. The lass rope will come later.
The following pictures do not look nice. But they show me instructing Lyle to yield to the bit by raising the reins and touching the corners of his mouth only with the bit. I did this EVERY time that Lyle tried to over bend, curl behind the bit and go into rollkur. I also did the same kind of movement every time Lyle tried to run away. I gave him a release for even the smallest yield. I tried to ask often, accept the smallest try and reward generously.
. In the end Lyle was moving in a nice way as you can see by the last picture. During the entire ride I had complete control of Lyle even though the pictures do not look nice. This is a big step for Lyle, that is for him to learn that human control does NOT mean pain and insult."

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the ride Penny, I expect to be riding in the mountains with you before summer. The horse is looking great.
    Good Job Izzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harold, you Rainee, Jeb and Family have a Happy and blessed Thanksgiving. I am looking forward to our mountain ride. I WILL be on Lyle. I am almost 70 years old. And I am still learning how to ride. This is something that I am Thankful for.
    Your Friend, Izzy (Some people call me Penny)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos Penny, glad to see you in the saddle{:>
    Angie

    ReplyDelete