Saturday, November 19, 2011

Mr. Impatient!

As is the trend lately, Linus was waiting for me. But being a Saturday, Dad was home and we were chatting while adding some hydraulic oil to the tractor and checking seals etc. All of a sudden we're interrupted by a loud and abrupt whinny. I looked over and Linus had such a HELLLOOOO IM WAITING expression that we both burst out laughing. I was surprised to hear him because he has a pretty pathetic sounding whinny...usually because he puts the minimum of effort into it!
We did some ground play and then saddled up and did some riding in and around different obstacles. He was very good! He really shines when you make him go someplace new or scary. He hesitates a bit then gets an I CAN DO THIS! attitude and carries on calmly. I was super impressed the other day when Essa, the Newfie dog, shook herself and he didn't know she was there. He startled in place but had a look and didn't even try to bolt. I love that he thinks first!
We also worked a bit on separation today. Dad was working with Allie going back and forth into the barn. Again, this is a huge deal for her. 6 months ago it was not even an option to try. Linus and Allie bonded so strongly that they don't like to be out of one another's sight. Today I made Linus do circles until he would stand calmly while they were in the barn. They are getting better. I hope they continue!
Donna & Linus
Ontario

4 comments:

  1. Sounds great Donna. Great that you are teaching Linus and Allie to also be able to be seperated, very important but it can be difficult. I love it that Linus whinnied to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna you probaly have a once in a lifetime horse. Wish you the best of luck with it.
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I have to agree...we joke they broke the mould with Linus!!

    ReplyDelete