Monday, November 28, 2011

Our day at work

Our day at work went well today...first we started with a little "free lunging" then we settled down into lunge work. Many people do not completely understand the benefits of a well schooled lunge horse...but there is SO much you can teach your horse from the ground, and it all makes saddle work all the more enjoyable.



*Tekara is showing her "youth" the only part of lunging she is solid in, is the walk/halt/walk...once she speeds up, her mind wanders and the "halt" is not solid...so, we start at the beginning and work from there. She has the concept now, of the pattern of lunging, but she does not yet have the concept of voice commands...so, this is where we start.
*Tekara works well in tack, she seems happy with the ring snaffle with a "bean" center I am using, and her saddle ( my $200 ebay dressage saddle ) actually fits her really well! it has never fit any of my horses real well, perhaps it was waiting for her...as it actually does fit her well. There are so many things this young filly is already solid in, tying, standing for grooming, loading in the trailer, giving her feet, and many more things, she leads like a DREAM, right like she is supposed too, and I enjoy every moment spent with this gal, and bringing her along slow and correct.
Footnote....we are doing quite well on the fresh game training. She is accepting the presence of a fresh hide near by while she eats and stand for grooming and saddling. Each day I expect a bit more out of her, and I suspect soon I will hoist up the hide and let her pack it around a bit.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Linda,
    Thank you. I enjoyed reading the details about how you are working with Tekara. I enjoyed seeing in the picture how you have the bridle and the halter fitted for lounging Tekara. I have never lounged a horse with a bit in its mouth before. (I have only lounged with the halter only. This is a chance for me to learn a new skill,) So I was real interested in learning how it would be rigged for the lounging task.
    She is a nice mare. I really like her facial expression.
    Sincerely,
    Penny Johnson
    KLootenai Curly Horses
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho

    ReplyDelete