Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Keeping Contact


Dear Reader,
In the attached picture I am attempting to keep contact with Lyle's mouth when he tries to curl into the hyper flexed and over bent behind the bit position. I am keeping contact with Lyle's mouth, using only the corners of his mouth, because my hands are above his mouth. Yet at the same time I am offering Lyle to kind of contact that enables him to release his jaw and to soften to the bit. I am moving my hands and arms so as to maintain contact and to NEVER under any circumstances to rein back. Although this picture does not look nice, I have good control of Lyle because I am, without causing him pain or insult, keeping contact so that he does not loose my feel. This is the only thing that is keeping Lyle from curling into the over flexed position and that is keeping him from running away.
I am trying to PROVE to Lyle that my feel is benevolent and kind. I am doing this by keeping a contact that allows Lyle to release and to yield to the bit. I am trying to ask often, accept what ever the horse offers me no matter how small and to reward often. Lyle and I still have much work ahead of us. It will take a good year of riding before Lyle knows in his heart that he can trust me to be a good master to him. To earn that trust is my responsibility.
Please note that I am remiss in NOT wearing a helmet. But my head gets too cold and I loose blood flow to my brain because of my encephalitis if I wear a helmet. That is why I usually, even in doors wear my hat. So please, do remember to wear YOUR helmet. I sure wish that I could wear one.
Sincerely,
Penny Johnson
Kootenai Curly Horses
Bonners Ferry, Idaho USA

2 comments:

  1. Izzy, I was at the Dr.s office when you called me but I got your message and had no doubt you would be out riding, you are as stubberon as I am I believe. Keep up the great works young lady.
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harold,
    Thank you and God bless you and Rainee. Us old fuddy dubbies had better stick together. I am looking forward to riding with you, Sir. It will be an honor.
    Izzy, aka Penny

    ReplyDelete