Thursday, November 3, 2011

New Job for Job

Again, I am a bit off topic for contest month. Yesterday was a very beautiful sunny day and I spent almost the entire day working with various horses. I did not do a thing with my special team horse yesterday - but I'll make up for it !  Last week, people came out to the farm looking for driving prospects. The woman loved Job and mentioned she'd buy him IF he had been driven lately.  Job drove back when he was 2 and 3... he's 7 now. This morning I woke with up with the intent to hitch him and see what he remembers !

I was lucky my Number 3 son stopped by to see if I needed help splitting and stacking firewood. I did not feel like doing my wood chores today - so I handed him the camera to document the beginning of my session with Job.

He's wearing Miss Nimue's harness - with a few adjustments.  First, we did some ground driving and I could see Job was calm and listening - so next we dragged a tire to check out his reaction to that.

When I got no reaction to dragging a tire around the yard and down the road - I decided to hitch him. I did not buckle the britchen straps though - in case we got into a situation where we needed to get him out of the shafts quickly. Ground drove Job and the cart around and it was obvious.. this was going to go well :)





I still have not removed the last bit of Christmas garland from last year when we all went out on Christmas eve with Miss Nims.





I am pretty happy - so I grab the camera from Nick and head down the driveway. We keep everything to a walk until the very end - partly because we are just starting - and partly because I still have not buckled the britchen straps. 


The snow is nearly all melted today - making the ring very squishy.   Job gets worried on the tighter turns and gets stuck sometimes - and I told him.. he's worried for nothing because he's doing it correctly.








OK Job -- time to head home. I asked for a little trot going up the driveway. He's tired.. so that's pretty much what I got from him -- a short little trot !


What a great job, Job !!  I will drive him some more around the neighborhood and Mister Job will have a new job now !

It was a good day for harness projects as I also hitched another medium pony -- OYY Beowulf. I'll have to post about that another day ! I am late for chores already :)

Betsy and Job in Vermont

3 comments:

  1. Nice turns! He put his shoulder right into the shaft. You never fail to give me Driving Fever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. Nick shows up because he knows you need help with your firewood. How awesomely special is THAT??!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Number 3 son is very special :) even if he is not so great with the camera :)

    ReplyDelete