Sunday, November 27, 2011

Harold's Canadian Cowgirl - featuring...Cows!!

Yeehaw Harold!!! Wow, did we ever have a blast today!! I told my Dad yesterday what we were up to in order to put a smile on Harold's face and we talked about how the cows might handle being worked a bit. I wasn't too sure if he would want me to try...our cows are pretty quiet and are more likely to chase Linus than let Linus chase them! I wanted to pose for a pic while scratching our bull on board Linus but I forgot all about it when I was having so much fun! (The very reason I make lists for everything!)
Unfortunately Dad was running some errands when we got to the farm so he didn't get to see us work and play but I showed him the pictures and we had just finished when he got back so we let the horses graze on the lawn afterwards. Linus was incredible being away from Allie too. I've been working at that and with a job to do he didn't even think about her not being with us. 

I was going to go with my brown cowboy boots, but it was muddy and I actually do wear them on a regular basis with jeans! So, I dug out this flashier pair to try to give Betsy and her flashy red ones a run for their money!! : )  What do you think Betsy?? Oh and its jeans over the boot...lol

Unfortunately Linus ducked his head down but this was my practice run at swinging the rope above his head. I even picked out a red, white and blue one so I could remain patriotic for my American friends : )   Linus passed this test with flying colours..

Here, we encounter our first cow. She is a coming 3 year old and was the only one in this part of the field, having not yet joined the others for sunbathing time. She paid for it and became our first test!! As you can see, I am swinging the rope while riding and we successfully drove her through this scrub bush. Linus wanted to follow through because he got such a charge out of it!!

I know the quality of this picture isn't great. It is overcast and my husband took it quickly before really having a chance to zoom in but I love it. Riding off to meet my herd!!

As you can see, the herd is very troubled by our presence!! Lucy didn't even bother to get up!! And yes, even though they are all black, I can name each and every one of them. I've been on hand to either watch or assist in the majority of them being born and then giving birth themselves. 

Our next victim was Wee-Mac Snowcone. Named so because she was born outside on a freezing cold day and was half frozen when I found her. I brought her up to the barn across my lap on the 4wheeler and warmed her up...she has been an awesome broodcow!! I'm not sure how impressed she was with us, but Linus loved it!

We managed to make a circle with her, so I think we did pretty good in controlling where we wanted her to go. Linus and I both really got into it. It was so much fun and I was laughing most of the time and telling him how awesome he is! I have never done anything like this before and it was so cool! At one point I was a bit overwhelmed to be doing something like this on a horse that I have brought up myself and we completely trusted each other. It was so rewarding!

C'mon Snowcone, we're cutting you away from the herd. Harold wants a cowgirl...he's getting a working one!

Here we come, back from our cattle cutting. Still fresh and ready for more!

We borrowed Dad's western saddle for the day. I know the stirrups are too short but I didn't want to adjust them. With my luck I wouldn't remember what length Dad had them. He is actually taller than me but my legs are longer than his! The saddle was a better fit than the western I just sold so at least I know I made the right choice. It took Linus a couple of minutes to adjust to it but once we got going, he was fine and comfortable. He makes it very clear to me when he isn't so that was good!

A big hug for my big, brave "western boy" as I called him today. I love his expression. He looks like he's enjoying my hug! He's got so much character that there is never a dull moment around him!

So, there you have it Harold. Cowboy hat, plaid shirt, kickass boots, patriotic lariat (hanging on the other side) and you can't see it but I swapped out my regular CASE IH belt buckle for a bronzed one of a western saddle just for you! 

You aren't seeing things. While letting the horses enjoy the remaining grass on the lawn, Linus decided to have a sip from the bird bath (don't tell my Mom he was standing in the flower bed!) I had walked over to stop him from crossing the back deck which he was about to do! Then he turned around and decided working cattle had earned him a drink! What a guy!
My Grandma and Great Aunt were visiting and I found out later that they had been watching from the kitchen window which is to the left and up about 6'. Oh well, they had a good laugh. 
Last year, I didn't tell them otherwise when they kept calling Linus a nice pony. Well, they were blown away by how big he has gotten and how he has filled out. They said he was absolutely gorgeous and I have to agree!!
I hope this video works. It wasn't playing too well on my computer and Linus was going over to my husband as if saying "Look at how much fun we are having!" It was such a hoot today. Linus listened like a pro to all of my cues and I think he really enjoyed such a change in pace! I think we will definitely be doing this again. The cows didn't get worked up (we've been accused of running an Angus Retirement Home) and we had a ball. 
I hope this gives you a good chuckle Harold. We decided to trade in the rifle for the rope and cows and I couldn't have had more fun doing it. My button has not yet arrived (tomorrow probably!!) but you were in my pocket and definitely there with us!
Donna & Linus
Lunenburg, On

14 comments:

  1. Well dagnabit Donna, Icouldn't be more proud of my own daughter, what a cowgirl show you put on. I'm proud and happy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah don't step in the cow poo with them fancy red boots. WOW what a ride I had today chasing angus cows thanks Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at that amazing boy?! And his cowgirl! I can not believe how big Linus is, Donna! Absolutely stunning, wow. What a fun post to see you working those cows. If harold isn't impressed, well, I AM. lol. I think my horses are still worried about cows..I need to get the introduced maybe next summer. You have inspired me! LOVE< LOVE the boots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice boots, not too many November weekends where you can get away with no winter clothes and no toque on. Nice job with the cows.
    Now Harold we Canucks need to teach you to say Eh!
    Karalee

    ReplyDelete
  5. oops...sorry Harold...when I started to post, you hadn't posted a comment yet. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's it Harold!! Lol. My husband is Scottish and had to learn how to properly use eh! Thanks for the comments, I had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ayah, OUTSTANDING YOU CANUCK YOU! I've always been afraid to work Ah-D on cows because of the repercussions at home, but this is inspiring! Maybe next summer, we will give this a try. Donna, is having these "all-around" Curlies AWESOME or what? In the next few years as Linus matures, I think we ought to set a goal for ourselves to try as many disciplines as we can with our Curlies, just for fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did a Scott end up in Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you have to emport him or whata?? Can he ride a horse or does he prefer the four wheeler Eh????? Again wonderful and great pictures. Simpley amazing. You all make me happier them I can express. Thanks Harold

    ReplyDelete
  9. Donna I am so jealous! I am glad you did find cows:) I hope to some day try cow chasing. I use to chase the dairy cows at home and got yelled at for doing it growing up :) I loved the pictures, and you guys do look good in western wear he he he :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Donna,
    You are a beautiful cowgirl and have guts too...you would do just fine in the Lone Star State. You Linus must take lessons from Didder as he is such a wonderful fella. And, I do love the candid shot drinking from the birdbath{:>
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  11. went back three times and looked at your pictures, fantastic job, just great.
    Harold and envious

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw shucks, thanks Harold. I am so happy that you are enjoying it! It was such a thrill and so much fun to do!! We will definitely play around more with the cows in the future. They start calving in about 6 weeks so we will wait til the spring : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh by the way Donna, you wear your pants inside the boot so you don't get cowpoop on your pants cuffs so when you go in the house nobody hollars at you for dragging poop on your cuffs cause you have to take you boots off at the door. Eh????? at least at my house Mama would get awful mad at me.
    Harold

    ReplyDelete