Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Rollker

Dear Reader,
Has any one re-trained a horse broke by the rollker method? That is broke by the twisting the horse's around sharply to its side or by forcing the horse's head sharply back against its chest. Always using hard pulling on the bit and no release for yielding. (Sometimes rollker even forces a horse's head to its knees.) Lyle was broke by forcing his head to his chest, forcing his head sharply to the side and by using the bit to beat and jerk on his mouth. The physical frame of rollker keeps a horse from breathing properly and makes a horse angry. We have made some progress. But as I ride him, he will, on many occasions, go back into the rollker frame. When he does that he becomes frightened and angry. And of course, because he is behind the vertical and has lost all forward impulsion, he is real hard to control.
If I was able to keep him from going into rollker frame, we would be o.k. But what happens is that he gives me no warning. He will just get to soft and he is in rollker frame. Then his back gets hard and his neck gets hard also after going into rollker frame. If his neck and back got hard first, that would give me a warning. But it does not. When Lyle is NOT in rollker frame our rides are good. When Lyle is in rollker frame our rides leave much to be desired.
If I could find a signal that he is going to go into a rollker frame BEFORE he does it then I could stop the behavior before he is committed to it. So I am doing some real deep searching.
Please email me privately if you have any training suggestions. My private email is: penny@wpjohnson.net I am convince that there is a solid answer for Lyle and I. The problem is just finding it.
Thank you,
Penny
Bonners Ferry, Idaho USA

2 comments:

  1. Poor Lyle, he is lucky to have you Penny. Great that you are taking the time to make it all right for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna,
    I promise that I will do what is right and good for Lyle. I will do it through feel, as Mr. Bill Dorrance teaches.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete