Friday, February 4, 2011

First Ride for February











Between school four days a week, nasty weather and working the weekends, I have only been able to sneak in two small rides the last three weeks :( But, since Fridays are my only full day off, I set aside this afternoon to go for a ride on my Curlies :)



Luckily, the weather was excellent today: in the twenties and no snow. The wind picked up a bit by the time I got the horses out (around noon) but it would come and go.

Both of the horses seemed happy to go. I ponied Yodie beside Shaneequah; I threw on his saddle to give him a bit more of a workout. He is the kind of horse that is very aware of everything around him, as well as being curious. That is one thing I need to work on with him when riding: getting him to focus on ME, not everything going on around him. I think when he gets too focused on all the other things, that is when he gets spooky.

We went down the road and I decided to go "around the block." We passed a farm with neighboring horses, a Belgian gelding and a Morgan gelding. They seemed happy to see my horses, and were eager to get close. My horses noticed them but kept walking by like old pros.

They got a workout in the woods where we had to go up a seasonal road up hill. The snowmobile tracks were firm, but the sure got some exercise! Yodie was puffing by the time we got up the gradual incline. It was good for him; he better be in shape for this summer!

There was a adrenaline rush when a neighboring horse along one of the other roads was loose :O He is a older horse, very docile, but he came burning across their yard to see my guys along the road. I dismounted and used Yodie's lead rope to keep the horse from getting too close. Yodie got pumped up and was acting all macho, but Shaneequah remained quite calm. Luckily, neither of my guys are kickers or strikers. I led them up the driveway and the owner came out. He said that he had been leaving the gate open occasionally so the horse could run around the yard :/

So, after that, the ride went smoothly as before. We just did mostly walk and some trotting. The roads were slick, so we only trotted where there was good footing along the side of the road.

Once I can get some time where my sister and I can go, I plan on riding Yodie more. I just don't trust him by himself just yet, and don't want to set myself up for a accident.

I hope everyone's winters are going swell, and their riding is, too :)





Emily, Shaneequah and Yodie

4 comments:

  1. Oh Emily, I simply love that picture when Shaneequah and Yodie are snuggling :) I love the Western style as well. I will try that with Lela when she arrives, because she is used to it. Actually I am into dressage, but again, I think I could like Western riding as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures make me think BRRRR in big black letters and is it not sad that 20 degrees is a heat wave? LOL Good for you getting out in the weather.
    As I read your post a thought keeps running through my mind so I am going to throw something out there .... If you watch the "professional" trainers - Parelli, Cox, Anderson, Cameron etc - whenever they are working with a horse that has a problem they never work directly on that problem.
    They say, and I believe it to be true, that the problem starts on the ground. To quote Linda Parelli on trailer loading issues "It is NOT about the trailer". What she and they mean is it is ALL about the horse's confidence or lack of.
    A horse that focuses on everything but the human has little or no faith or trust in the human's leadership (read ability to keep the prey animal safe). So to "correct" problems while riding or loading or vetting etc etc we must go back to the basics and establish we are the leader and can be trusted to keep the horse safe.
    Parelli's DVD series Liberty and Horse Behavior is a terrific series in explaining and demonstrating different horses behaviors and the various causes of such. It is pricey but in my opinion it should be in every horse owners library and watched over and over. A tip - you can find it on Ebay and Craigslist (AK) for much less than at the Parelli store. And as with all trianers there are some thing I disagree with but as an overview of behaviors the only thing better than this is the ability to watch a sizable herd of horses for hours and hours and to learn the subtleness of their language.
    OK ENOUGH! -

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you were able to get out there and ride, and that the loose horse turned into a non-event. NICE! It's such a great idea to pony a horse to get him/her used to the road and trail and give him a "wet blanket." I look forward to hearing about your progress with Yodie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness....a horse loose? That would unnerve my horses too at first. Good job staying in control and staying safe!! You are so brave to venture out on your own with TWO horses! I am really glad to hear you say you don't want to set yourself up for an accident with Yodie riding alone. It's smart of you to listen to your gut and know your horses so well. Thanks for sharing, Emily. Always nice to hear from someone near home! =]

    ReplyDelete