Saturday, February 5, 2011

Special Time with Lovely Rita

Due to busy evenings at Dominic's wrestling practices I have gotten behind in my blogging-there is only so much time in a day to do everything and I am trying to balance it between two jobs, family, riding, paperwork and now blogging. On sunny Thursday the 3rd my mother and I took turns with OYY Lovely Rita. After my mom took her for a little walk it was my turn to have a special talk with her up in the indoor. I see her often in the pasture as she lives with Teasel and the two of them seem to love each other. Whenever I get him I always take a minute or two to give her a scratch but Thursday it was time for and I to really establish our relationship and roles.

Right away she impressed me with how smart she was. With the breeding she comes from she is destined to do great things. Her maternal aunt and paternal sister is OYY Yemaya from my earlier snowstorm ride post, her mom OYY Cosette is a lovely riding mare out of Lynn Downer's Benjamin. I have ridden all the babies he had when he was at the farm and all our stupendous riding mounts. Rita's dad is non other than the big man Mead's Chocolate Chip who has proven himself over and over again how amazing his get is. Miss Rita was so attentive and listening, picking up right away the different things I was asking of her. OYY Nimue is her maternal cousin and those on the RAC have seen how awesome she is.



After a few minutes all I had to do was lift the line and point my finger and she knew to turn away from me a begin moving calmly around me. When swinging a rope around her legs, back, belly, and over her head she stood perfectly like this was something she did on a regular basis.





   Being so calm and relaxed about all of this means maybe she will be a wonderful driving horse. And won't she be cute in harness with her beautiful curls and fancy black coloring, plus she has the most endearing face.

While all this was happening to her precious baby, Cosette stood like a dream at the hitch rail inside the indoor, looking on as if she knew her baby needed this lesson on manners as part of her growing up process and trusted me to be kind when showing Rita.


Cosette has demonstrated that not only is she herself a fabulous riding horse but she is also an excellent mom. Maybe in the future there will be a BCF Splash Dancer/Cosette baby. And Lovely Rita I can tell that great things are going to come from this little girl-quiet, smart, attentive with just the right amount of sass I think she is going to be able to do it all.

4 comments:

  1. Zoe how cute is this ?! Wonderful and rewarding. Super good job, Zoe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoe, love this story and pictures. What a connection you have with her. I love the way you look at each other. Rita is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you said what you did about her face and head. She has a head you could just sit and stare at for hours. She is gorgeous, I love the colouring too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Rita is such a little doll! She is going to turn heads in the harness!!!

    ReplyDelete