Tuesday, February 1, 2011

BRRRRR I did not know I had moved to the North Pole

Today was a study in fighting weather. With temps down to -18 last night (not counting the wind) three of our four vehicles refused to start. Thanks heavens for reliable red. We had to hook up a different trailer to feed and then stack small bales as the tractor said "no thanks" also. And then the well that feeds the stock tanks was frozen as was the cold water at the kitchen sink! After much trial we got all the stock fed and watered. Oh, we fed because of the cold it is really hard on the range horses and the mares - especially those with foals - need the extra boost. NO SNOW - praise the lord and halleluja.
The interesting part is the new mare, Grits, and her foal have integrated into the herd because of the cold and the feeding. Usually this takes weeks and months. And her special friend is our Curly mare Flash! Flash loves a foal even though she is a maiden mare she always babysits.
So, to those who are out riding in the snow and cold - MAJOR KUDOS to you - but for this wimp I am going to curl up under an electric blanket and hope the power holds and try to thaw out - even colder tonight(-21 + -35 to -45 windchill :() so, same game different day tomorrow.
But it is good to see all the horses and interact with them.Oh and while I was breaking ice and tossing it out of the tanks the horses were right there watching/supervising ... I think I passed thier inspection as they did not throw me in! LOL

7 comments:

  1. Gotta love this time of year eh?? Banging the ice out of the stock tank for the cows has been an added part of my chores routine lately!! Ah well, won't be long and all the snow will be gone...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LLLOLLL Ellen!! You go girl!!! My favorite part of interacting with horses ...is the way they communicate.... Try and stay warm and YAYYYYYYY For giving those Range horses extra!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, that is cold!!! It's -14 here tonight and I thought that was bad. I also believe that is the worst chore ever, sticking your hand in cold water breaking the ice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GODNESS. My prayers are with you lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is really cold! I hope it warms up soon for you!
    Good to head that your new mare and her foal are now comfortable and accepted in the herd and have found a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey they make insulated rubber gloves that work great for clearing ice out of the tanks I can send you a pair. In Ak that is a necesity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. DeAnna, YOU COMMENTED! YEAH! You go girl! I would love some gloves! Perhaps we could find them in the lower 48 but would they be AS insulated?
    Ellen cheyenne, wy

    ReplyDelete