Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Along the way we spot some turkeys roosting on the fence.. we saw a lot of turkeys on this trip-- one large flock kept flying ahead of us in one section of trail.
We are off road now for awhile--- headed up the snowmobile trail which follows along the airport.
This "trail" is a virtual highway ! and the horses are pleased to find.. it's not going to be like the trail they were stuck on last time.. with deep snow and hard work.
We want to choose the trail for 106N... now if there had been a few more directional clues like this one along the way -- we would have avoided a lot of wandering -- BUT we also would have missed a great new adventure.
more signs -- a bit comical...
Don't we love a caution when we are on horseback
Just thinking about the implications of this - makes me blind too.
Not to worry - our horses are steeds of bravery and steadiness.
As we trot along -- we follow the fence which encloses the airstrip. Here's a view of Mount Ascutney.. it's a tall mountain so we see it from a lot of our voyages - and I have mentioned before , it's a goal of mine to travel up it on horseback.
we reach the river trail -- this is the river you are gazing out onto.. totally frozen and covered in snow.
We trot along the river trail and decide to head over to what all the locals call the Power Dam. There was once several mills there powered by the powerful waterfall-- and let me say.. in the spring and summer when the water is full bore - you can hear the roar of those falls from far away -
Today ... amazing - the dam is (guess what) frozen. Although we can see the water still flowing under the ice -- what an awesome sight - one that I could not seem to capture on camera.
Here's a photo from a summer trip to compare.
icicles cascade down the rocky ledge shores of the river.
Zoe and I opt to head straight here - never having been up this way before- thinking it might head toward Perkinsville and we can choose a way home from there. But ... we dead end and Zoe (the 'map' of the trip as she says) thinks she knows another way to loop around.
More snowy tundra
You know how people use the phrase-- this is the beginning of the end ? well here is the beginning of an end that took forever to reach. we chose to go right... found some super trail - BUT.... not anywhere near where we thought we wanted.
We were treated to stupendous views along the way. We are anxious for a number of reasons -- can't wait to find out where we are in an excited way... reluctant to find out where we are in a nervous way :) Still enjoying ourselves though !!
Uh-oh..... as soon as we spot this little covered bridge-- we know exactly where we are. I spy this bridge from the road in my car so often and wish to myself-- there's a little bridge I want to cross with Keri -- but... I guess it's so true- be careful for wishing. Yikes.. we are far from homebase. But -- the positive is. as I said - we know where we are.
well it wasn't that bad-- we had a super trip and I can't wait till the next one :) We have one planned for Zoe's birthday -- but news of 2 feet of snow coming our way may put the cabash on that idea for a few days. Drat !!
I hope you enjoyed our adventure... at some point I will post the longer version on the farm blog... the scenery was outstanding - I took SO many photo's... I know the post is a long one -- but I just love to
- ► 2015 (83)
- ► 2013 (442)
- Cody's No Internet Blog
- Lessons with the boys and Cody's trip to the big b...
- another good ride with Freedom
- Settling in
- Finally back in the saddle!
- Bush Time!
- First ride with Freedom again
- Freakin' COLD!!
- Out for a walk
- Mellow ride on Prairie
- Building confidence
- New Boys on the Block
- The Newest Prospect
- Sassy and snow days
- Great Afternoon
- More Snow???? NOOOOOOOOOOO!
- Birthday with the Curlies
- Curly girls day
- Lunch Date
- Neosha Show = Ribbons and Great Weather!
- A battle of wills
- Finally!!! Out With My Girl Today
- Road walking
- It has been sooooo freezing in Finland (15-30c ) ...
- A Sunday Trail Ride
- Easing back
- "Click!" ~ *RCR Ah-D-Das in Maine
- Getting fit
- Practicing Some New Things
- Two Posts in a Day
- Bridle Fitting Day
- Wind and my Curly Girl
- Wind? Wind Doesn't Bother Us!!!! (anymore)
- A Sweet Day
- Chester and I play in a Texas sandbox
- We finally had several nice days in a row! Spri...
- Team Work
- More Work in the Ring
- Thursday Recap
- No Time Like the Present ~
- Ring Riding
- Okay now I am tired!
- Dancer and Keri Play in the Ring
- Pretty Voelie
- *Joe again
- I want to be the leader
- Fun in the Sun
- Heat Wave!
- Sleigh and Cutter Parade 2011
- Valentine Treats
- Your Equine Valentine Earns Bonus Points!!
- Wild and Windy day .
- How the weather affects "Just Routine"
- Sun!!! Glorious Sun!!!
- Driving training started
- Great Weather
- More Cold Work on the Ground
- *Kobee's first day in the indoor arena
- A brief break
- What to do about all this snow.....
- Having Fun on the Ground
- Sassy kind of Saturday
- Short slippery ride today
- So much for not having an eventful ride!!!
- Company AND Groomed Trails!!!
- Smooth, Straight, Male
- Three Dog Nights ~ Two Horse Days
- *Joe - *Kobee - *Tessa
- Lots of sun and Curls
- A multi horse day
- *Kobee is back to work and *Joey is Mr. Wonderful ...
- Abby gives a lesson?
- Creative Curly Curriculum!!
- Soft and listening
- Grooming day
- I went Gallumphing!
- A Very fine day
- Winning Smiles!
- Curlies, team work and RAC ribbons
- "Make hay while the sun shines..."
- Round penning Tonic
- Ringo and company!!
- Lisa's epiphany
- Short But Sweet
- Riding in our RAC T-shirts!
- A Day In The Ring
- Kaycee and I picking up where we left off...
- A ride because it was sunny and 40!
- Extreme Cowboy Race
- Our ride on 01-29-2011 because it was 34 degrees!...
- Much too cold to ride!
- I'm a delinquent blogger! 01-16-11
- Help with Tygs
- ▼ February (132)
- ► 2010 (477)
- ► 2009 (333)