Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Apples, anyone?

Today I tested Tygs' skill with the apple bob obstacle. I do give the horses apples every once in awhile and when they seen me coming with apples, they came right over. When I put them in their water, the look Tygs gave me was -- well, he was confused. But he immediately tried to get them. I've done this before, but not since Tygs has come to live here and it's always funny to see them suck on the water, thinking the apple will suck into their mouths just like getting a drink. Tygs was the first one to figure out that wasn't going to work and I'm proud to say it was only two to three minutes.

"I got one, Mom!"


Tygs did get two more, one by biting it in the water and his nose was almost buried in water and then the other one he took his chin and slid it out of the tank onto the ground! The rest I took out and gave to the other horses, since they couldn't seem to get it and I didn't want applesauce in the tank.

Tygs also had previously accomplished the heavy equipment obstacle as our tractor feeds them their hay. Last night after bringing in a round bale, my husband proceeded to scrape the area free of manure into the pile and I literally had to run the horses away from the area, because they're so trusting. They assume dad isn't going to hit them, which is a good thing, but on the other hand if it's ever somebody else and they're not watching, I could see where one of our horses would get hurt!

After the apple bob tonight I took Tygs for a walk down the road since I've neglected that in a few weeks. Yikes! He did fairly well, but did think about pushing buttons when he wanted to come back to the herd. He struck out once at me and was promptly lunged and then tried cutting me off, which he was told that wasn't allowed either and then promptly licked and chewed. We're getting there. I did switch up a couple times, going the opposite way, coming back and he did fine. His halts are really good now and consistent. We're still working on staying out of my space.

On to the ball tomorrow and crossing water when I have a cameraman!
Janeen and Tygs in the UP of Michigan

1 comment:

  1. Tygs sure is smart finding the apples that quickly! I will be trying this challenge soon too, sounds like lots of Fun!

    ReplyDelete