Saturday, January 8, 2011

The driveway

Today I decided to take Voelie out of the field and try something new. It was quite windy and she was ready to go! I took her out of the field and decided to go through the gate and onto the driveway. She did not mind the gate (it makes a lot of noise) or the plastic from the big bales of hay that was flapping in the wind but the idea of walking away from her friends in the field was quite scary for her! She whinnied a lot and it took us quite a while to, step by step, walk to the end of the driveway (it is not even a long driveway). She was really good and I could tell it was very exiting for her. At the end of the driveway we turned around on the road and she tried to speed up and run back:) I made her stop several times and made sure we walked back. Then we turned around to do this a second time. This time she decided to try jumping around a bit, truning and walking backwards. We did manage to walk to the end of the driveway and back again so that was a good practice! Back inside the gate I let her trot beside me a bit. This was the first time we tried this and I was amazed that she immediately understood what I wanted her to do! She did try to go too fast and pass me but that was easy to correct.
She deserved her big bowl of feed afterwards and got to go back to her friends in the field.

2 comments:

  1. Oh what an adwenture! I was windy here as well! She was doing great! And it is okay that they jump around a bit, as long as they calm down again! This troting together is nice, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Jessica! Seems Voelie had alot to think about and process and did really well. I think it's great that you are doing what you can do and still making it enjoyable, interesting and good learning! =]

    ReplyDelete