Sunday, February 6, 2011

Keeping Tonic's feet moving

I have not had Tonic off the ranch for a couple of weeks, but I have been working him here at home. I take Tonic and Ringo out every morning behind the quad to stake them out to graze. Tonic tends to try and lag behind so we have been working on keeping his feet moving. He will not let pressure build up on the lead, as soon as it tightens he picks up his pace. My goal is to have him keep up with out the rope tightening in the first place. I have Ringo's line pretty loose in my hand, he stays right with the quad, Tonic's lead is a little shorter so that I feel him lag before he actually tightens the rope so I instantly tell him to get up. He is gettting better and I don't have to remind him near as often.

We have also been working on him coming when I call, whether or not he is on feed or with the other horses. He will come 99% of the time, the other 1% only takes a more stern note in my voice and he believes that he better come or he will be moving.... lol

I am very pleased with his progress and I am looking forward to adding more to his training.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds good your are making progress. Like that he is coming when you call, mine are all spoiled and only come when they think there's food ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so want to teach my horses to come to a whistle. I think so many times it would come in handy at riding time but also if they ever got loose at a camp out or something, it might come in handy. I have yet to buy a whistle, but when I do I have a feeling Reese will learn quickly if a carrot is involved. lol. Thanks for sharing and great to hear about your success with that and leading etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine come 100 % when I got food but thats it ... and they come very often when I really don't need them to be around (a pain sometimes lol). Great progress Paul. I love to read how you train them.

    ReplyDelete