Friday, February 4, 2011

Sunny Day Ground Work



Thursday was gorgeous - despite the fact that we couldn't ride. I actually was pretty exhausted from shoveling roofs.. so I decided to work with my favorite little monster - OYY Lovely Rita.  She's named after the Beatles song - she is lovely and so smart !!  The session started with some time on the hitchrail with Mom - brushing, hoof work - generally fooling around and standing nicely while tied.






Rita and her Mom, OYY Cosette, have been sharing quarters with Teasel Obi, his maternal sister Ceylon Obi and my other fabulous driving pony/horse OYY Tippateena (who is due to foal fairly soon).  Rita rules the roost !!  She was born mid-October.  It is so interesting to observe the inter-actions of such a group with a young foal at the center of things.   I have had several fall foals over the years.. and the young boys who grow up with elderly 'aunts' learn a lot of respect and tough love.. which seems to form their dispositions into very compliant happy go lucky geldings more than the usual. The fillies, on the other hand -- they are the young princesses revered and overly tolerated... but throw in some extra handling and it all works out fine !

Rita pretty much remembers everything from earlier lessons - even though it's been several months since I have actually had a 'hands on' exercise.  Cosette waits ever so patiently on the hitchrail. There's Dad in the background - Mead's Chocolate Chip. Now - all breedings are planned, but this one was especially planned - because I knew what I was going to get - and I could not wait for Rita to arrive.

She walks down the driveway away from Mum quietly and mannerly. Her curiosity helps with that :)





This makes me think of the book by Pony Boy -- Horse, Follow Closely...









Only in this case - it's DOGS - Follow Closely...








I love this little girl !  what a package.. beautiful, curly, smart and just the right size :)  Foals are fun to work with.


After we took our few walks up and down the driveway - Zoe took her up into the indoor for one of her special girl to girl conversations.   She'll get a little "listen Missy" talks that she does not seem to get from her mates in the pasture.

Enjoy ~

9 comments:

  1. I love the name Cosette! I wanted to name my gray mare that but everybody said it would be to hard to say. I told them they need to go see Les Mes and they would love the name too. Oh well, your filly seems to show the curly relaxation trait really well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love Les Miserables -- Lynn Downer, owner of Cosette's sire (Benjamin) actually suggested the name Cosette -- and she chose well - it suits her perfectly. Yes- Rita is relaxed -- she's curious and brave.. so it's a good combination as long as she gets her manners foundation down strong to go along with those traits, she's good to go !! So far, so good :) Don't listen to those other people next time !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rita is adorable! She doesn't stand a chance of keeping up her mischievous ways with you and Zoe around. That is so interesting about the difference between late colts and fillies.
    I see you also have an entourage. Nic is so handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun to see you working with your little filly, Betsy! So different from your usual posts, I almost forget you have babies! Rita is just beautiful and what a good Mom Cosette is to stand quietly as you worked with her. Thanks for posting and showing us your upcoming star! =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Rita is very cute! Lovely pictures of you working with her. Cute to see all the dogs following you!
    I also like the book Horse follow closely by pony boy. Sometimes I thing my filly Voelie follows to closely, she sometimes gets her front legs in front of my feet and makes me stumble:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny what you learn through comments - that's a "Ben" relative! It was nice to see such a change of pace, what a gorgeous baby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Betsy: *Rita so looks like *Ben at that age. Such a sweetie!!! I can't wait to meet her. I was so thrilled when Zoe brought me out to meet Cosette.. yes, from Les Mis., but the true fire is best shared with friends in person...

    Donna: *Rita is Linus' cousin.... a *Ben grandchild just as Linus is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynn - I see a lot of Ben in her too !! what a great stud he is ... of all the daughters of Anniva M ( There are 10 in all) , I almost think Cosette is the best one ~ not to say they all aren't great.. but Cosette is very special and Rita is in a class of her own :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh such a cutie, really ! Yeah foals rock!! It is so rewarding because they make such fast steps forward! Great job!

    ReplyDelete